What is sciatica and how can an osteopath help?
Sciatica is when the sciatic nerve becomes irritated and so it can cause a range of symptoms. The sciatic nerve runs from your low back down to your feet. Symptoms may include pain, numbness, tingling, weakness and these can range from mild to severe. Sciatica pain can really be debilitating or simply reduce your quality of life.
Our osteopath Shane Caulfield at our Central Coast clinic has a lot of patients presenting with sciatica symptoms and he is able to treat them successfully. We will work with you at our osteopath clinic to develop a treatment and management plan that is best suited to you. This can also include advising you on things that you can also do yourself to help improve your comfort and quality of life.
Patients come to our osteopath clinic for sciatica treatment, present with varying symptoms. So this is why treatment is tailored to each individual. Typically, the treatments we offer may include: A range of hands-on techniques; advice about exercise and returning to activity; in addition to suggesting ways that you can manage your pain.
Call to speak with our Osteopath now about your sciatica symptoms
Call Now: 02 4323 4445
Things you can do before you come in for osteopathic treatment for sciatica symptoms:
- Try to continue with normal activities. Gentle movements to keep the back flexible can be helpful.
- Avoid staying in one position for a long time. Although you may find a comfortable position it is better to try and continue with normal gentle movements. Because this will assist you with a speedier recovery.
Please note that we are aware that some sciatica symptoms may require immediate medical attention. You may need to go to Emergency if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- If you don’t notice or cannot control your bowel movements
- If you have sciatica on both sides
- If you have weakness or numbness in both legs that is severe or getting worse
- At any point you are concerned about your symptoms and severity – call ‘000’